Punic wax medium
Product produce by Zharovstudio Minsk Belarus
WAX- CASEIN BINDER
Traditional wax-tempera medium for icon painting. Perfect for working on traditional glue-chalk
Advantages of the wax-casein tempera.
• Paints dry very quickly; the hardness of the paint layer is much superior to any other paint. This
is very important for future preservation of the icon.
• Wax medium is transparent and does not distort the color of blue and white pigments like egg
• Has excellent adhesion to any materials, paints are freely and easy applied on gilded surfaces.
This is very useful when drawing halos, ornaments, inscriptions and red frames. The paints are very
durable and will not rub off.
• Icon painted with wax- casein tempera could be covered with all kind of finish varnish. It not
need to be coated with linseed oil «olifa», like egg tempera. Olifa usually turns yellow quickly and dries
for a long time.
• The wax medium is stored for a very long time (more than one year).
Preparation of paints:
Dry pigments preparing on a glass plate with mortal, using this emulsion and dry pigments. (as well as
with egg). Add so much emulsion as it is necessary to a pigment. Wax medium is ready for use and we
not recommended to add water during the preparation of paint. During the painting you can add water
if it need, but than please add some medium too.
Since wax paints have a little bit thicker structure, we recommend using kolinsky brushes or soft
You might also like